Tuesday, March 16, 2010

FML Contest

I am squee-fully happy to say that my FML Contest entry, A Slip Down Memory Lane, was a voting round finalist, and it received a Host's Mention & lovely review from the very talented Chicklette.  Check out the FML Contest blog for other winners!


Chicklette's Pick - A Slip Down Memory Lane by SweetDulcinea

Chicklette had this to say:

When I began reading stories for this contest, I simply started clicking on titles, paying no attention to prompt or author name. I wanted the experience of reading the stories without prejudice of what I *thought* the story should be. (I will say that I expected most stories to be funny.)

So I was surprised when I found myself getting drawn deeper and deeper into this story of Edward and Bella. One night, as Edward is using an ATM machine, he runs into old flame Bella. Told from Edward’s point of view, it’s apparent from the first that he’s still in love with her. However, he respects that she broke things off, and he doesn’t try to make their chance encounter into anything more.

Until Bella slips on some ice and ends up wounded. She tried to phone her brother, Garrett for help, but Edward won’t hear of it. Instead, he insists on taking her to the emergency room himself, and he waits there with her while she repeatedly tries to reach her brother or his girlfriend, Kate. As they wait, Edward begins to reflect on his brief relationship with Bella, including the moment when she broke his heart and called things off.

One of the things that really drew me in to this story was SweetDulcinea’s use of dialogue. She really has an ear for it, and at no point was I distracted from the story by an awkward turn of phrase. She paints Bella and Edward’s relationship with such sweetness, that it’s a little hard not to fall in love with these two.

Add to all of that hints of humor, a fantastic Carlisle, and some excellent musical references (I’m a huge Jimmy Eat World fan), and this story moves from being a good little one shot to something that really stuck with me. So what are you waiting for? Go! Read! Now!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment