Friday, February 12, 2010

NMTB Outtake #13

 
Outtake #13
EPOV


My drinking became out of control.  Upon acquiring a very believable fake ID, I became a barfly.  It didn’t matter what kind of bar or club it was, as long as I could get in, get drunk, and get a woman to come home with me.  Drinking and fucking my way through my misery was doing me no good, but I continued down my destructive path regardless.  It went on and on for months until the night I ran into Carissa at a bar near the UDub campus.  She had been going to school there, and despite our close proximity, she was so caught up in her college life that we didn’t see each other as often as one might assume.

I barely recognized her when she hopped into my lap on my barstool.  I blinked back the tequila haze that clouded my vision and tried to focus on her face.

“Edward!” she giggled.  “What are you doing all the way over here by campus?”

“I don’t know,” I answered honestly.  Most nights I walked the city until I came upon an establishment that looked interesting and unfamiliar.

“Well, who are you with?” she pressed.

I shrugged my shoulders slowly.  “No one.”

“Oh…well come meet my friends.”

She led me away from the bar and to a table where a group of men and women our age were sitting.  I fell back into an empty chair, realizing that she had actually pushed me down into it before depositing herself on my thighs once more.

“Guys, this is my best friend, Edward,” she told them, repeating their names back to me, but I forgot each as soon as she moved on to the next.  There seemed to be friendly smiles all around, but I was indifferent to their company.

My blurry eyes scanned over her female friends, assessing if any of them matched my tastes for the evening.  I was unimpressed.  Gazing at the small dance floor, I saw a few options, but when I tried to get up and go to them, I realized I had a woman in my lap already.  I resigned myself to the company of my ever-faithful best friend, accepting that I wasn’t going to get laid that night.

Last call came and went, and everyone shuffled out onto the sidewalk to begin the journey home.  I turned in the direction of my apartment, preparing my mind for the walk that would take me at least forty minutes.

“Where do you think you’re going?” I heard as someone tugged at my wrist.

“Home.”

“Oh my gosh, Edward!  You’re out of your mind!  There’s no way you can walk home right now,” Carissa told me.  “I live just around the corner from here.  You can crash with me.”

I went along, feeling blank and empty.  It didn’t matter where I slept.

She led me into her apartment, saying something about her roommate being out of town, but I wasn’t sure why that mattered.

“The bathroom is through there,” she directed me toward an open door.  “I left a toothbrush in there for you.” 

I looked at her closer now, finally noticing that she had changed into pajamas, removed her make-up, and tied her hair up in a ponytail.  I wondered how long I had been standing in the middle of her bedroom staring at nothing, but I pushed those thoughts away as I shut the bathroom door behind me.

When I emerged in my boxers, I stood in the doorway tugging on my hair and looking at her already in bed.

“I put some stuff out on the couch for you, or, umm, you can sleep in here if you want.  My bed is big enough,” she said softly.

I thought about all the times we had lounged together watching movies or listening to music, remembering the peace and comfort of my confidant.  We had never spent the night in the same bed, but I couldn’t see a reason not to in that moment.  The appeal of her soothing presence won out as I climbed under the covers with her.

We rolled onto our sides facing one another.  My eyes closed, and I felt her hand in my hair. 

“Edward, are you all right?”

“Hmm?” I hummed sleepily.  The alcohol in my blood made me feel as if I were on a waterbed.

“You don’t seem yourself lately.  I’ve barely heard from or seen you since you moved to the city, and tonight you’ve just been…I don’t know, not here.”

I sighed in response, unsure of what to say.

“I’m worried about you,” she whispered, caressing my cheek in a way that reminded me of my mother.

“I’m fine,” I mumbled, feeling myself falling into the arms of the sandman.

I was on the cusp of sleep when I felt the bed shift.

“Sorry,” she mumbled, noticing that her movements had disturbed me.  When she settled back into place, I finally shared the heavy thought I knew she would understand.

“I found a picture when I moved…a picture of me and Julie.”  My words were almost inaudible, but she was close enough to hear them.

“Oh no…” she replied softly.  Her body was suddenly pressed against mine, her arm wrapped over my shoulder and rubbing my back.  “I’m sorry, Edward.”

“He’s three.  I don’t even know his name or if he’s happy.”  My voice sounded dead.  It was hollow and empty as my body silently shook against hers.  I mirrored her hold, tucking my head into her neck as I pulled her body impossibly closer to mine, seeking any comfort I could find.

We lay in the stillness of her dark room.  She consoled me in a way that only she ever could and fought back my demons when I couldn’t.  I calmed infinitesimally and then more and more as each minute passed.  The tequila was still swimming through my veins, making my thoughts and emotions better and worse at the same time - a constant battle.  In time I settled, retaining my hold on my best friend, but no longer in agony.  It lulled to a dull, aching pain, and for the moment it was tolerable.

With her body pressed so close to mine and our lack of modest clothing, she was warm and safe.  To my own body, having a woman close to me that way caused certain reactions, and this time was no different.  My better judgment was lost in my inebriated bliss, and I experimentally shifted my stiff penis against her leg.  Her breath hitched, and I knew she felt it, though she did not back away.  Lifting my hand to stroke her cheek, I pressed my lips to hers, feeling her response immediately.

I awoke to the feeling of a warm, naked body pressed against me.  I peaked at my bed companion, and when I realized it was Carissa, the previous night all came back to me.

I panicked.  I had drunk-fucked my best friend.




No comments:

Post a Comment