Friday, February 12, 2010

Not Meant To Be - Chapter 4

 
Chapter 4

Song:  The Boys of Summer by Don Henley

Jacob had been surprisingly...attentive lately, and I was really enjoying it. It was normal for us to spend bike night and at least one night of the weekend together.  Maybe a couple others throughout the week, but they rarely fell two days in a row.  When he left my apartment Thursday morning, I was surprised that he asked to see me that night.
We watched a movie with a few other people at Garrett's house, and on Friday, the gang went to our usual hang out, Mickey's, a hole in the wall with a pool table and darts.
By Saturday, Rosalie and I were in desperate need of some girl time, so we got our hair done and hit the mall. We shopped for several hours, and spent far too much time and money in Victoria's Secret picking out items that we thought best highlighted each other’s assets.
After having dinner with Rosalie's parents, we decided to make an appearance at Felix's house. We were pleasantly surprised to see the guys were having a bonfire in the backyard. We were not so pleasantly surprised to see Jessica and Lauren there, standing uncomfortably close to Jacob and Benjamin.  The guys’ body language said, “Not interested,” but those little skanks clearly didn’t notice that the guys kept backing away from them. Jessica and Lauren both sneered when they saw us, making it obvious that they weren't especially pleased to see us either.  The panic that also hung in their expressions was quite amusing. Let's just say that Rosalie had come quite close to knocking Lauren on her ass the last time she got too close to Felix during last call at Mickey's.
Jacob was looking particularly indifferent to Jessica's flirtations - take that, bitch - and when he saw us, he bounded right over to me. He scooped me up in his arms, and planted a big sloppy kiss on my mouth. I couldn't see them, but I heard Rosalie laugh at the nasty “ugh” sound Jessica made.
“Where have you been all night?” he asked while giving me bedroom eyes.
“I didn't realize I was supposed to be here,” I said innocently. I really didn't; he hadn’t asked me to do anything that night, but he may have assumed that I would be since I’d spent the day with Rosalie.
He had carried me to the back door and set me down, standing close enough for me to feel the warmth of his body.
“Well, I'm glad you're here,” he said smiling, “but I'd like you to be here.” I was pinned to the door with Jacob's pelvis grinding against me.  Being such an intelligent young woman, I took the hint and responded with a playful nip at his chin.
“Oh! Guest room?”
“Hell yes!
After a refreshing romp, we grabbed a couple beers and made our way back outside to the fire.  We were greeted with knowing smirks from our friends, but no one spoke of our extended absence from the gathering. I dutifully took my place at Rosalie's side while Jacob went to join Garrett and Ben in a conversation about their bikes. Although we weren't glued to each other’s side the rest of the night, our eyes were constantly finding one another to exchange smiles and steamy looks.  Our unspoken conversation was a promise of a very fun sleepover at Felix’s guest room, and I was sure we’d be doing little sleeping in that bed.
Another surprise came when we woke up Sunday morning. We lounged around with Rose and Felix for a while, and then Jacob asked if I wanted to spend the day with him. This was a bit of shock to me.  In the few months we'd been, well, whatever we were doing, we had never hung out during the day when no one else was with us. Mostly we hung out with the group, or at least Felix and Rosalie, before hooking up.  The way he asked felt like this was going to be something different.
Rosalie had enough clothes at the house for me to get ready there while Jacob ran home to clean up and exchange his truck for his bike. When he returned, he looked incredibly tempting in jeans and a tight black tee shirt. I don't know if the shirt was meant to be so tight, but it stretched across his chiseled chest beautifully. He smiled what Rose refers to as a “panty creamer smile at me, and I automatically went to him for a hug and quick kiss. Every time he did that, all I could think of was the huge grin he always had before diving head first between my thighs.
“You ready, sexy?” he asked.
“Absolutely!” I put on my helmet and straddled the seat behind him.
I hadn't asked where we were going, and although I was curious to know, I liked being able to ride with him for a while. Wrapping my arms around Jacob's perfectly muscled form and enjoying the sunshine and warm air was enough for me. Part of me wished we could talk as he drove, but it felt kind of right to just be there and feel his body and mine pressed together. He used to ride without a helmet, which wouldn't have made talking a problem. I, however, insisted that he start wearing one, and he eventually gave in when he realized I'd never ride with him otherwise. I was surprised when he had told me he'd never let anyone ride with him before me.  He never explained what was so different about me that he would allow me to ride with him, but it was flattering nonetheless.
Forty-five minutes after leaving Felix's house, we slowed in front of a row of large cabin-like homes on a lake. When we reached one with deep mahogany siding, Jacob pulled into the driveway and cut the engine.
“What's this?” I asked, stepping off the bike and stretching.
“My family's lake house. Let me show you around.”  I could hear excitement in his voice, and it was matched with a playful sparkle in his dark eyes.  He led me into the house, my hand clasped firmly in his.
The house had the most gorgeous interior, and I was caught off guard by how different this was from his parents house. That place was simple, classic, and adorned with family photos; this vacation home was more rustic. Earthy tones filled each of the rooms, and decorations consisted of mounted fish, nature prints, and strategically placed pieces of driftwood in all shapes and sizes. The paneling, railing, and furniture were all deep mahogany and rich brown.  It was warm, homey, and inviting – the epitome of a vacation home.  An open staircase led up to a loft-style sitting room with several doors off to the sides.  I spent several minutes wandering through the house taking it all in as Jacob followed close behind.
Glass French doors led to an enormous, multi-tiered porch overlooking the lake. The lowest level connected to a wooded walkway which eventually turned into a dock at the water's edge. On the end of the dock was a covered boat lift holding a large boat. I didn't really know anything about boats, but the sleek contours of that thing just screamed fast.
I continued to examine my surroundings, taking in the gorgeous view and pristine lake before us. Large trees wrapped around the perimeter, creating a barrier between the backyards of the neighboring houses. The rare sun overhead sparkled off the lake and created gorgeous reflections of the blue sky and fluffy white clouds. I took a deep breath, tasting the crisp air of our natural surroundings, and smiled peacefully.  My eyes drifted back toward the dock, and I noticed something I hadn't seen at first.
“Is that a slide?” I asked with maybe a little too much excitement.
“Yeah,” Jacob chuckled back at me.
“That's so awesome. I wish I'd brought a suit.”
“Actually,” he said, nuzzling his face into the crest of my neck and shoulder from behind, “I thought we might go out on the boat for a little while. My sisters have some bikinis upstairs, if you'd like.”
I couldn't keep a smile from spreading across my face. As I turned to face him, his hands moved to my hips.
“That sounds great,” I said. “Which room?”
He pointed me in the right direction, and I gave him a quick kiss before running off to get changed.
When I emerged from the house in a red halter style bikini, Jacob was already down by the dock lowering the boat into the water.
I skipped down the path toward him, fully aware that he was watching my boobs jiggle and bounce as I approached him.
“I'm never going to be able to look at my sister in that thing again, you know,” he said when I reached the dock.  An approving grin danced at the corners of his mouth.
I smirked and returned the slow, conspicuous, and lustful look to his shirtless body.
We spent a long time out on the boat, just riding around and enjoying the day. Jacob even let me sit in his lap and steer for a while. That, however, led to him kissing the back of my neck and shoulders, which eventually led to us deciding it was a good time to swim before we got too hot and heavy where other boaters might see us.
The water was cool and refreshing, and the sensation of being at the top of a lake sixty feet deep was a little dizzying. Jacob insisted there was nothing dangerous in the lake, but the water was so clear it looked like you could see down forever and that made me a little uneasy. I was just waiting for some giant squid or eighteen foot carp to appear and come eat me. If nothing else, my irrational fears served as entertainment for my companion. We had a great time taking turns leaping off the boat and into the water. I mostly dove; I'd always loved that sensation. Jacob, on the other hand, performed a series of somersaults, cannonballs, and attempted toe touches before splashing back into the water. I really couldn't remember the last time I'd had that kind of fun.
When we returned to the dock, I eyed the slide and he encouraged me to go play. After five turns I was satisfied, and he was ready to return to the house.
“Did you enjoy the slide, Little Miss Bella?” he teased.
“Heck yeah!  I have no idea why you didn’t join me.  How cool is it to have your own water slide?” I said enthusiastically. 
He chuckled and shook his head at my excitement.  “Believe me, my sisters and I spent hours on that thing when we were kids.  Plus it was more fun to watch you.”
I nodded, slightly embarrassed about my childish antics, but he wrapped an arm around my shoulders to reassure me he didn’t mind.
“Let’s get inside.  I want to get home before it gets dark,” he said, guiding me back up the walkway to the house.
We took separate showers and dressed quickly.  After a fair amount of kissing we pulled ourselves apart and decided we had better get going. The sun was edging toward the western side of the sky, and both of our stomachs growled with hunger.
I enjoyed the quiet again as we rode back home, and when we arrived at Felix's house, Rosalie was preparing dinner while Felix set the table.
“Perfect timing!” Rosalie called. “I told him this was too much food. Now you can eat with us.”
Jacob and I looked at each other with knowing grins as we joined our friends for the meal.
Afterward, Rose and I retreated for some girl talk and the guys went downstairs to play foosball. I gave her the scoop on my day and she told me about hers. It wasn't until that talk that I realized my day with Jacob had included absolutely no sex. Rose and I were both somewhat dumbstruck by that, and it remained on my mind after I said goodbye to Jake and went home to my empty apartment.
I'd never put too much consideration into a real relationship with Jacob, and I think he got that. I went to him immediately after the break up with James. He knew the circumstances. He knew he was rebound sex. He knew I was fresh out of a bad relationship and not interested in something exclusive. I knew he wasn't particularly the picture of chastity and virtue either, so things just worked between us. This, however, made me wonder a little bit. It seemed we could function in a somewhat normal capacity, not just as bed buddies.  It was...comfortable.
I truly had no idea if he would want more from me because we didn't talk about the status of our arrangement, but he had been hanging around quite a bit these last few days.  Despite all that, I wasn't sure if I really wanted to give up my freedom just yet. I liked the fact that if I wanted to hook up with someone else, I was free to do so. It's not as though it happened all the time, but there were a couple occasions that I enjoyed a little variety to quench my sexual appetite. I refused to let it get confusing, though, so I just had fun. I didn't let these guys get to me. If I wanted something from them, I made my intentions clear. If they wanted me, I played my usual games and did whatever I was in the mood for at that particular moment.
It worked for me.  I didn't intend to stay this way forever; I just wanted to have fun. I'd lost two years of my life after college in a dead-end relationship, and now I was making up for it.
Just as I was slipping into my favorite sweatpants and preparing to watch a movie from my big, comfy, cloud bed, I heard my phone ring.  It was a ringtone I’d chosen for one specific person.
“I know I don’t know you, but I want you so bad.  Everyone has a secret, oh can they keep it?  Oh no they can’t…”
Edward.
I looked at the caller ID for a momenteven though I already knew who was calling, and then set the phone down on the nightstand. When it went to voicemail, I browsed through my missed calls. I hadn't looked at my cell since this morning. I saw two other missed calls from Edward that day. Huh...it appears I have the upper hand.
I listened to the voicemail and heard his fuckvoice say he could get out for the night and he wanted to get together.
Oh hell no.  Does he really expect me to drop whatever I’m doing for last minute plans?  Not that I’m doing anything at the moment, but he doesn’t know that.
First of all, I was exhausted from my day with Jacob. Second, even though we hadn't had sex that day, it didn't really seem right to run off and screw someone else so soon. Third, if I did go see him again, it was going to be on my terms, and I hadn't quite figured those details out yet.
I decided to send Jacob a quick thank you text, and then turn my phone off for the night.
I was pretty sure I would fuck Edward Cullen again, just not tonight.


I never will forget those nights
I wonder if it was a dream.
Remember how you made me crazy?
Remember how I made you scream?
Now I don't understand
what happened to our love,
But baby when i get you back
I'm gonna show you what I'm made of
Don Henley
End notes: Edward’s ringtone is the same as my song selection for Chapter 2.




No comments:

Post a Comment